Hilliard-Dublin Heating & Air steadfastly believes in providing our clients with nothing but the highest caliber of service. As springtime arrives, so does the warmer weather, and if your air conditioner is starting to show signs of wear and tear – you certainly don’t want it failing you during any scorching summer days! There are various factors that come into play when choosing a new AC unit. We urge you to take these considerations into account and make the most informed decision for your home. Don’t worry – all of the necessary information is here to help guide you through this upgrade process!
HOW LONG DO AIR CONDITIONERS TYPICALLY LAST?
On the whole, air conditioners last roughly 12-17 years. Yet, this statistic is only a guideline and will differ depending on the type of model you have as well as how attentively it has been maintained over the years. Take this estimation into account when assessing your AC’s age; if it appears that your cooling system may be near its expiration date, then take appropriate steps towards either replacing or repairing it promptly.
WHAT OTHER FACTORS SHOULD BE TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT WHEN CONSIDERING AN AC UPGRADE?
1. Energy Costs: Are you noticing abnormally high energy bills month after month? If so, your cooling unit could be the source of this problem. Over time, air conditioners can become less efficient and require more exertion to maintain temperatures – consequently driving up your monthly utility costs. Ideally, the AC’s share of total energy consumption should rest around 46%; if it’s greater than that, then maybe it’s time for a new system upgrade!
2. Irregular Temperatures: Your air conditioning isn’t just designed to cool the air in your house; it’s also meant to keep that temperature steady throughout. If you’re having trouble with temperatures that often fluctuate, this is a clear sign that your system no longer works as effectively as it should.
3. Loud Noises, Odors, & Dust: When your AC is overstressed, it can give off subtle indications that something needs to be done. Common signs of an overloaded air conditioner include loud noises and strange smells with a side order of dust particles floating around in the air.
- Noises – If your AC unit used to make a gentle, repetitive humming sound but is now emitting loud and persistent noise, it might be a sign of an aging system. However, you should also consider that the size of your current system could be mismatched with your home’s square footage, which leads to unnecessary strain on the air conditioning mechanisms.
- Odors – If your AC system is emitting noxious smells, it could be a sign of mold or mildew in the ductwork and refrigerant leaks. Although this problem may still be solvable if identified early on, you might need to examine all aspects of the situation before deciding whether replacement is necessary or not.
- Dust – If you’re unable to rid your home of persistent dust, it might be a sign that there are cracks or gaps in the ductwork. These can cause dust particles to spread across your home and make cleaning almost impossible. To help get this issue resolved once and for all, contact us today so our NATE-certified technicians can inspect the problem quickly and efficiently.
4. Frequent Repairs: We already discussed the significance of upkeep and maintenance in determining an air conditioning unit’s lifespan. Keeping up with regular maintenance is crucial for your HVAC system to remain operational. If you have an older model that needs constant repairs, it may be time to finally accept that your AC has come to the end of its life cycle. Although repair costs may initially seem lower than the cost of buying a new unit, multiple repairs and high energy bills can add up quickly over time. Thus, it is strongly recommended that you take a closer look into the variety of upgrade options available to your home in order to maximize savings in both money and energy.
5. R22 Refrigerant: The use of R22 refrigerant in older air conditioners has been discontinued, making refilling these systems with a compatible and compliant cooling agent notably expensive. Fortunately, technological advancements have made it possible to upgrade to modern-day ACs that are much more sustainable and energy-efficient, giving us the chance to save money while caring for our environment! Not only will the new units help you save money each month, but they also produce fewer carbon emissions which translate to cleaner air in your home.
If you’re looking for an HVAC company that won’t let you down, Hilliard-Dublin Heating & Air is the answer. Contact us now to book a free estimate and consultation appointment. We can also talk about our financing options! Quality should come first when it comes to anything related to your HVAC system: from quality equipment and installation work to excellent customer service in the years ahead. Join forces with us at Hilliard-Dublin Heating & Air and witness what the five-star difference really means! You can reach us at (614) 490-7520 or schedule an appointment online now by clicking here!